Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cheese Please


Cheese of Cheddar Type

American Deli Slice sandwich

I grew up eating Kraft American Singles. The individually wrapped formed cheese. Not my favorite, but it was all I knew.

First introduced by James L. Kraft in 1911, American Cheese is really a processed cheese made from whey, milk fat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate and salt. 

Though it was originally made from Colby and Cheddar, this new version of cheese cannot be called cheese. 



Kraft uses the term American Singles while others use the term American Slices, American Cheese Food or American Cheese Product. 

The last two are products like Velveeta or Cheese Whiz. It is also referred to as Classic or Traditional. And lastly, some products may not even have the word cheese included on the packaging.

I still eat this ‘Cheese of Cheddar’ type that I get from the deli—which is less processed and it’s best on burgers or a quick cheese sandwich, grilled or not. Truth is, I grab a slice of cheese on a regular basis to fill in when I have not eaten and need something fast to curb hunger. It is not a low calorie snack…every time I eat a slice, I think to myself that’s not very smart. Not much food and it comes in at about 100 calories per slice. But, I still have it as a staple in the kitchen. It’s a bit of a throwback to my childhood.

I love high quality cheeses of all types and enjoy them whenever I can, especially when I am cooking a nice meal or topping a salad. They can be quite expensive but so worth it when you have something you want to make truly delicious. Good cheese makes a big difference.

During the Summer of 1942, May 4, through August 1, there were severe restrictions on the consumption of cheese in an effort to conserve during wartime. Only American Cheese was allowed. By August the ban was lifted due to British importers sighting it was damaging to the morale in both countries.

It’s a holiday weekend where many of you may be having cheese on your burger, so enjoy this little slice of heaven that melts perfectly for what it is. A crafty little imitation of cheese that does a good job of making things yummy.

American Deli Slice sandwich with toppings
Grilled burger with American Slice

No comments:

Post a Comment