Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How much Salt is in a Portion of Pasta with Sauce?

Pasta sauce from a jar is high in salt. As I said, I have a few things to finish in the pantry before going totally to homemade. In the past, these ingredients were handy go-to's for lots of things. Having evaluated the salt content, its got to go. I did water it down to lessen the 1/2 cup, 630mg of salt but since I added meat to the sauce, it bumped it up some. This is a portion of spaghetti measured out. All and all, it is enough for a serving, but as you can see, if you are eating a big plate of spaghetti, you are consuming huge amounts of salt. I think I've covered this subject of salt enough to help you change the way you eat. I wish I had started paying attention earlier, but it just wasn't on my radar. I'm grateful for the new knowledge I've acquired to eat more healthfully and more conscious of nutrition label information. The thing is, once you know, you know. Since my awakening, every day its been easier and easier to reduce the salt and feel better. Yesterday, one of my friends said this about canned soup. Her remark sums up my salt report perfectly. Thank you Susan.

"Haven't had Campbell's soups in decades and the last time I did it tasted like I was swallowing the ocean." 

A very comprehensive list of sodium content is here for your review and consideration. I hope you'll take a look. You'll be glad you did.


cup of spaghetti measured with sauce

one cup of cooked spaghetti and one half cup of sauce

For another opinion on the subject, I have included this link.
Why? Because your body does need a certain amount of salt to function.

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sodium-per-day/



No comments:

Post a Comment