Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hitting a Food Wall

I'm full!

After almost a year of food blogging, watching too many food shows, pouring over Pinterest, reading anything about food, sometimes cooking just for fun, and gaining weight, I have to move on.

My focus now is on purely fundamental fare.

Today, my market basket was filled with mostly vegetables, fruit and nuts. I did get some non-fat cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt and eggs too...oh, and a package of whole wheat pita pockets, but nothing else.

Flavoring has become over the top. I'm going to taste and eat food without flavor add. Cut the salt, leave the butter, cheese, and wonderful rubs and sauces I have learned to make, and fallen in love with.

It may be a bit extreme, but I have to do it for the love of the ingredients. I want to know them without make-up. They deserve to be loved with honorary reverence for who they naturally are. Me too.

A short time ago I shared with you that I had not been hungry and needed to give my taste buds a rest...this was probably the beginning of my need to stop the food frenzy. It's not just this year I have been cooking and eating too much flavorful food...it's been a love affair for a long time. A companion, an art class, a joy to enjoy from every angle.

I never thought to eat without trying to make it something unique and wonderful...not realizing it was unique and wonderful all by itself.

So far so good. Although I have some general withdraw from my cooking habit, I'm also finding it a pleasant change.

One meal I did this week was a combo. I cooked some cauliflower and then finely chopped some red peppers and a tiny amount of broccolini for added color. That was lunch. Then the next day I had about a cup left of the mix, so I tossed it in with one egg for a scramble. To my surprise, it was amazing. Not only good flavor, but the texture of the small cauliflower buds were much like fluffy eggs. The combination was perfect. A bit of spinach for a garnish and it was visually satisfying. I'll call it V'eggio Scramble.

cooked cauliflower saladCauliflower scramble

No comments:

Post a Comment