Friday, February 28, 2014

170 Reasons to Season with McCormick or get Sloppy with Safeway

Cleaning out the pantry continues to open my eyes. Things I never looked at, including this. I'm going to have to do some thorough investigating across many products but I am wondering if this is a good example of why buy the name brand over private label. I buy about a 50/50 split between the name brand and the house brand but this has me rethinking everything. Does the house brand always contain more salt? Why does Safeway include Monosodium Glutamate? To be fair, McCormick does have 1 more (g) of sugar than Safeway but if I ever bought this again, the choice is obvious.

I encourage you to do your own side-by-side comparison on products you buy and see for yourself.

With many markets moving in to the nutrition and wellness category, to make the grocery a more wholistic health destination, adding in-store dietitians, offering shelf tags for easier decisions, then slipping potential dangers in to the fine print and making recipes that tip the scale in the wrong direction...well, that's just sloppy strategy.

Nutrition Facts: Safeway 450mg of Sodium/McCormick 280mg

packaging facts nutrition label

Nutrition Labels are due for an overhaul and that's on the horizon but compliance may take up to two years. In the meantime, check the facts for yourself and choose wisely. These are two good examples of why. There are lots of brands that can go through this side-by-side salt comparison.

Who will you choose?



No comments:

Post a Comment