Friday, June 28, 2013

What I do when no one’s lookin’ for dinner and dessert on a hot summer night.

Summer green salad with fork in bowl

Dinner…well, yes—when it’s hot, salad is my favorite summer meal. I had no intention of photographing this…I was just hungry. The one nice surprise was how the goat cheese came out in nice shapes…but they went into the mix. I did try to keep them in place once I saw how nice they came out…but when it’s this warm…no can do. It’s one shot and you’re done with goat cheese. I started eating it before I realized how yummy it looked…so, I did take a picture. Anyway…it tasted great.

Romaine, watercress, red peppers, carrots, goat cheese, Bragg’s apple cider vinaigrette, S&P, and a few roasted chicken shred pieces. Just a few…

Next, I think I was sleep walking. Not really, but I did feel compelled. I don’t even eat dessert, or very rarely. But, there I was…in the kitchen with nothing sweet. Ahh, but maybe…so the next thing I know, I’m pulling out graham crackers, vanilla wafers, almonds, chocolate, frozen banana. First, I took the vanilla wafers and ground them up in my wire mesh colander by hand. Easier than a box grater, and no appliance needed.

Then, I melted the chocolate adding honey, milk, smidge of light brown sugar, butter. I laid it all out on a lined sheet pan. First the vanilla wafer crumbs, then drizzled the chocolate all over. Then I tossed on the almonds, more vanilla wafer crumble and popped it in the freezer.

Once it was firm, I took my trusty turner spatula and placed a small amount of the mix on to the graham cracker, topped with two slices of frozen banana and a tiny sprinkle of vanilla wafers.

It’s a nice summer snack for both kids and adults. Enjoy.

It’s a new twist of fresh from the freezer.

PS. I don’t really style these shots…they are true as true can be for the real thing.
The love is in the relationship I have with food as art. Kiss, Kiss.

I’m not a cookie person but when my sister lived here before her passing she liked
sweets. You never know when you might want a vanilla wafer…so thank you Kate.

frozen chocolate banana crumble on graham cracker dessert

4 comments:

  1. It's so nice to have you appreciate my flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salad looks yummy and refreshing - sibliminal advertising at it's best. Who could pass up this healthy selection!
    And, to have this creatively awesome treat after the meal...does not make you feel as calorie quilty either.
    Thanks for the new ideas and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experimenting in the kitchen is one of my favorite things. I hope this, and other ideas inspire you to try a little mix and match yourself. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete