Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Today in the Test Kitchen...a Creative Snack

Today|Test KItchen graphic light to dark


Sometimes you have an idea…then, you can’t let it go. I didn’t have much in the kitchen to work with, but I did it anyway…I created Tortilla Tasting Trays for lunch. What? Why would anyone cut out three half moon tortilla shapings into tasting trays with tiny bites of pico de gallo-ish salsa, underscored with a mix of Mexican shredded cheese, topped with one black bean and side of salad garnish with a mini-mini squeeze of ranch dressing and a centerpiece of watercress…because they are crazy about the test kitchen in their mind. It can haunt you…so, beware. It’s like a rooster beak in your mind, pecking at you non-stop. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can make it, taste it, and see if it’s viable. Well, guess what…I love it. I shot the plate and then ate it. Every last crispy crunch of my Tortilla Tasting Trays are gone. All gone. It was a complete run-on sentence!

TIP: When you don’t have things you need, you improvise. I used a spice jar top to cut out the half rounds. A sharp knife did the rest of the work. When I toasted them in the oven I kept a very close eye, and turned them over a few times to crisp each side perfectly. Then, I started the insane assembly of fresh ingredients for the fun of it. Okay, I admit…it’s a bit over the top with the one bean thing, but try it yourself…top with whatever you want…but if you see these trend setting tortilla tasting trays in your local market, at your next catered event or house party…you saw it here first.

PS. The right size stainless cutter or a shot glass could work for the half-rounds.
I had neither of these on hand…but the spice cap did a fine job.

The original photos were quite nice, but since I was making art for lunch—I decided to complete the task with a little digital enhancement for the pure pleasure of playing it all up. The last one up is a small shot of the original.

Tortilla Tasting Trays with side of salad on green plate
Two Tortilla Tasting Tray with Side Salad on Green PlateTortilla Tasting Tray Art Imaging

2 comments:

  1. it looks very beautiful and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime I can delight someone with a new plate of inspiration, having them think it is beautiful and looks tasty makes my day. Stay tuned and thank you graciously!

      Delete