Monday, June 2, 2014

Stuffed Ham Roll-Ups On Toast with Asparagus and Mixed Greens

I had some fresh asparagus that I wanted to eat before it went bad but did not know what to make with it. I did not want a big dinner and I could have just eaten it plain but I thought, hmm...what else could I do? There was some cooked ham in the fridge so I decided to cut up the asparagus and roll it in to the thin slice with some feta, pepper and mustard. Next I made a piece of toast, put it on a small bed of mixed greens, and topped it all off with a few green peppercorns, two whole spears of asparagus and a couple of tomato pieces. A thin drizzle of Italian dressing and it was complete in less than 5 quick minutes. The asparagus was already steamed. Totally unplanned, and I have never made this before, but it was quite a nice plate. It's funny how ideas just come together. In this case, it was almost like someone else had planned it, and I just put it together. Cooking is like that; a little of this, a little of that, and there you have it.

I would have preferred prosciutto to make this a bit more elegant and it's a classic match with asparagus, but this worked out just fine. This is a less expensive version. One piece of ham cut in half is considerably less than prosciutto. I also would use a whole seed, or course ground dijon and a tad of balsamic. What you would add is completely up to you. There are lots of things you can roll into this idea. And, if you want to go veggie, some nori would be a great alternative to the ham. This is a basic meal idea that would be good any time of day. A bit of a salt splurge, and deli meat is not a regular on my list, but every once and awhile things like this taste yummy to me, and yummy is good.

Ham roll up with asparagus, feta and mustard

Stuffed ham roll-ups on toast with asparagus and mixed greens

No comments:

Post a Comment