Saturday, April 12, 2014

Keeping A Food Diary

Food Diary Plate Today's Menu

Keeping a food diary is not something I normally do. The experts recommend that you do so to see just what you are consuming each day. It does add up even when you try your best to eat light. At first I was noting every calorie and the salt content with each item, every single ingredient in a salad and soup, measuring the amount of condiment, if any, and it made me laugh. Now I have a general idea of what is in most things that I eat and drink, so I am not quite as literal as I was in the beginning and it has helped me to be more mindful of each item. I also have switched my coffee to a half decaf blend and have no more than two small cups, and I only put milk in with the first cup. I like tea as an evening beverage.

Food addictions and romantic habits have been easier to give up than I thought. Since I love to cook, the kitchen romance is definitely something I miss, and yes, salt is now replaced with other herbs and spices, but I am getting used to it. I admit, I still eat saltines when I have a huge salt craving, but unsalted, organic sunflower seeds are my main snack along with roasted almonds.

One thing I did notice, I am not a breakfast eater; so most days I start eating between 11:00 to 1:00 and then consume small amounts about every two hours until about 7PM. If I do get hungry any later than that, it's unusual, and I'll grab a banana and some almonds. Putting the time next to what I eat, as well as keep track of my exercise time and length of activity helps me understand my energy level at different times of the day.

The benefit to a food diary (even if you only do it for a month), will help you get to know yourself a little better and encourage better eating habits.

NOTE: If I do eat something that was not the best choice, I enjoy every single bite. I have no guilt about it at all. The next time I prepare something I am more inclined to choose a better alternative since I have satisfied my craving.  





No comments:

Post a Comment