Thursday, December 19, 2013

Soup on Crispy Parmesan Toast

Soup on Crispy Parmesan Toast
I was given a crock pot recently and although I know the basics, turn it on and let it do the cooking, it was not being used. My first attempt was just to make some chicken soup with vegetables. I'm not much for appliance cooking and still feel a bit perplexed as to what can be done. There is no timer on this one. Just high, medium and low settings. I put everything in and tried the high setting. It worked fine. I'll still have to do some looking around and be a little more experimental. Pinterest has lots of examples, so I'll start there. The instruction insert had three basic recipes, nothing as interesting as some shared pins. Since I had little interest in crock pot cooking, glancing over was the extent of my viewing. Some great pans have covered all of my needs for anything I want to cook. Maybe my attitude will change.

Growing up my mother frequently used an electric skillet, and an electric griddle. Some people seem to like electric stuff. I like cooking with gas. At any rate, I tried it. The results were good. The ingredients cooked evenly and this is the yummy bowl of soup.

But here is the real treat of the whole experiment. Soup on toast!  A nice crusty buttered bread heal sprinkled with parmesan. As shown in the insert, the soup was both a lovely broth and a hearty heaping of goodness...so I skimmed off some of the chicken and veggies and placed it on toast. Really tasty, really filling way to warm up on a cold day and satisfy all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment