Thursday, December 5, 2013

Crustless Portobello Mushroom Pot Pie

So delicious! This takes a little time to prepare even though I had the potatoes already precooked. First, thoroughly clean the gills out of the mushroom. I use a spoon for the large center area and on the delicate edges a melon baller works well. If you're not careful these can tear, so take it easy. Next, I cut up my potato into nice small bites, kind of a mash chop. Line the bottom of your mushroom with the potato, next put in some peas. I had these leftover with a little butter, a perfect amount to add in. Then thin cut some carrots and top with a little asiago cheese and pepper. This layer is done. Continue building your portobello pie with another layer of finely chopped red bell peppers. I always squeeze the water out with a paper towel or things can be too wet for my taste. Finish with a nice heap of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a few broccoli florets. I baked these covered in a glass pan for about 45 minutes @ 325. For the first 25 minutes I let them dry cook and then I add some water into the bottom of the pan to create some mushroom au jus. Plate with some lightly steamed broccolini. I peel the stems after washing and this is a nice tender touch. When you are ready to serve, spoon some au jus onto the base of the plate. I had some stew broth in the freezer and melted it before serving. These two flavors work really well together. You can use just the mushroom jus for a lighter flavor or add a bit of a thickener as I did.

History note: The name "portobello" was created in the '80's as a marketing strategy. Growers usually threw these mushrooms away because they were considered ugly and people would not buy them. Another example of how a name can make all the difference in how something is perceived. The same is true of broccolini, a trademarked name for a cross between broccoli and Chinese Kale.

Portobello Stuffed

Portobello Stuffed with Veggies and Potato

Portobello Mushroom Pot Pie

Plated Portobello Pot Pie with Broccolini

No comments:

Post a Comment