Saturday, August 16, 2014

Mixed Greens and Tilapia Salad with Tomato Basil Mushroom Sauce

Mixed greens and tilapia Salad with tomato basil mushroom sauce

I don't eat much fish but I do like tilapia. It cooks quickly and it's flaky and tender. I pan poach it in a little unsalted butter and Meyer lemon. These are frozen in individual servings, so they steam in the moisture and it adds a little broth. Just before plating, I pull the mixed greens and spinach out of the fridge so it's crisp and cold. I had pre-chopped the tomatoes in a rough cut and the tomato basil mushroom sauce had been simmering for awhile. I chop the fresh mushrooms, about fifteen, in to semi-thin slices and let them sweat down in the pan before I add the tomato basil sauce. Don't drain them. It infuses extra mushroom flavor and keeps the sauce thin which makes for a nice topping. A large spoonful or two is good so the fish and greens are not overshadowed. The combinations is outstanding and gives each ingredient a chance to speak delicious.

I served this hot on cold, but it tastes just as nice when the ingredients are all cold. It just depends on what you like and perhaps the time of day you are serving. Also, the frozen fish is convenient, but if you buy fresh from the seafood counter, use it the same day for best results.


No comments:

Post a Comment