Monday, May 13, 2013

Building smart real estate on your plate.

Taste with a capital T.

You’ve all seen a food pyramid and possibly a few portion plates. All you really need to know is the letter T. Portion using the shape of a ‘T’ on your plate. Which way to ‘T’ is up to you, but I like the veggies in front. That way, I eat what is closest to me first. If you like something different, all you have to do is turn your plate.

The one problem with this is I like my food all together. Stacked… usually with the grain on the bottom, protein in the middle and veggies on top. It’s not that you can’t mix flavors using the T-shape, I just prefer the flavors to join in a circle. Mingled flavors are my favorite. When using the circle technique, I do my best to keep the circle small…and use a smaller plate to make the portion appear to be a fuller serving. Try both and see which one you like best.


Above Image Source:
www.dreamfieldfoods.com

Portion plate segment design in T-shape quadrants, veggies, protein and grain and center of plate example
This is a simple way to teach your little ones how to set up their plate. It promotes good nutrition without a lot of fuss.


Tip: As an art activity, use a paper plate. Cut it in to these shapes and have your child draw, paint or cut out shapes showing different food combinations. They can also cut out food from a magazine and paste or tape it on to the plate. Using additional plates, you’ll have multiple meal making ideas based on your child's happy imagination.

Getting them involved in the meal selection and ingredients is a great way to help them feel valued and esteemed. You may also want to create a meal board in your kitchen, or just put them on the fridge to post what’s cooking for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment