Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Flyer Fettucini Alshreddo

Grocery Flyer Fettucini Alshreddo with paper crown in bowl
Dishing a little discontent for the greater good.

Each week I receive multiple store flyer's, most from grocery stores. They come on my recycle day, and as soon as I get them, they go into the bin. The costs involved in photography, writing, editing, printing, sending these out, plus the time my postal person has in sorting and delivering, my time to dig through them and see if there is any mail tucked inside, then the recyclers time to pick up, transport and last but not least, the recycling process which then in turn, turns into the next weeks flyer's. More coordination from the retailer’s and promoter’s. Emails, contracts, reimbursements and all that. Has anyone added all that up? Am I missing something? I Googled…what is the average price of a grocery flyer and could find nothing.


In a world where we are making every effort to save resources why are they doing this? I only shop at two stores and yet, without asking—I get about seven a week, exclusively from markets. Even if the store recoups some of these costs with paid product placements through the manufacturers, which they do…it’s still a lot of people, time and money to create these.

Curiously, I have been waiting to write this post but last week no flyer's came. Today, I only received two and these are the ones on the platter.

What’s up? Here I am on the bandwagon to stop this waste…did someone beat me to the punch? Or, is this a fluke…are grocer’s taking note of this ridiculous waste. If you want a coupon from the store you shop, you can go online. Another beef is the plastic waste for your store card. It’s really just a data collection card that is touted as a discount. They collect your data and resell it, while I get a mini-discount. Hmm…You won’t let me have a plastic bag…okay, that makes sense, but what’s with your plastic card?

Why don’t you just give me a good price and cut all the waste for everyone? After all, the money saved could go into ‘good deed’ feeding of people in your community, or creating new products with less packaging. Put the ‘gro’ back in to grocery by using less trees! Stop wasting all this time and resources, and put the effort into real value.

Have something to say? Leave a comment. As I said, I am on the bandwagon to stop this waste, and will share any comments with my grocery contacts.

Loving exclusion from this editorial. Trader Joe’s has the best copy ever and should be given an award for most valuable flyer entertainment, great products and prices…although I seldom shop there…they make me want to.

TIP: If you don't want to recycle your flyer's, take them to a school. They are still good for paper mache and pre-shredding might make it easier for little ones to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment