Saturday, July 13, 2013

Artful Settings are Timeless

Cream and Sugar Service Setting

Some things touch your heart as more beautiful than others. These cream and sugar pieces are particularly wonderful. Though not used any longer, they stand out as magnificent art for a table. It's just not really done anymore—people don’t use cream and sugar service, but I think they can be repurposed as little flower vases. I want you to see them as they are. They are obviously used. They were passed down to me but I have no idea how old they are, or how many ancestors and guests touched them. Just look at the handles and see where the finish is worn off. The tenderness of the painting on the set is thoughtful and gracious. They truly look delicious.

The other set I have is crystal, and again, the beauty of time is etched into these with precious precision. They too are family heirlooms. You don’t see things like this on the everyday table and to be just set aside…well, I brought them out today to share with you.

What do you do with things you love that are somewhat out of time in their usefulness? Certainly they are still artful settings, and I hope that my showing them today will inspire all of us to make something new out of something old.

Today, they became new pieces of art set in the gallery of my heart.

Enjoy them as paintings from both the past and the future.

Crystal Etching Setting


No comments:

Post a Comment